The fam/gamin issue in sarge

I was curious, when I noticed gamin was not in sarge, what the deal is with fam? My previous experiences was that fam stops the user from unmounting automatically mounted removable media (available when pmount is installed), and the solution I went for was to install gamin instead of fam (also the choice Ubuntu made). I have not made a clean sarge install, so I don't know what the defaults are: does Sarge support automounting of removable media in Gnome "out of the box"? (I found all I had to do was install pmount, and replace fam with gamin, to have it all work.)

The fam bug feels a little RC to me, sometimes, when my family phones to say they cannot get the CD out... (I have since replaced the home computer's fam with gamin too.) The simplest solution was "just reboot and open the drive when the machine is booting", easier than explaining "su", giving the root password, and "killall famd" commands over the telephone...

Hugo