Upgrade report

Hi all,

I just want to give a upgrade report to you. Unfortunately I found the call for upgrade reports /after/ I did the upgrade, so some information is missing.

Upgrade date:
-------------
2005/05/07

uname -a:
---------
Linux lotus 2.6.10-mh1 #8 SMP Mon May 9 17:47:49 CEST 2005
i686 GNU/Linux
-> nearly the same before upgrading; new compilation on 9th May just added a module for serial support

Method:
-------
As described in the release notes:
http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
When I upgraded one could find the option '--with-suggests' in section "4.5.4 Upgrading the rest of the system", but aptitude didn't know this option. This is already fixed in the release notes.

Contents of /etc/apt/sources.list:
----------------------------------
can be found here (before upgrade): http://www.zvisionwelt.de/sarge-upgrade/sources.list.txt

- Were there any non-Debian packages installed before the upgrade? If so, what were they?

Yes, but I can't remember all of them.
	Acrobat/Adobe Reader 4.0/5.0.x/7
	Java SDK 1.4.2_06
	OpenOffice.org 1.1.4
	jpicedt
	webmin

- Was the system pre-update a pure woody system? If not, which packages were not from woody?

No, but I can't remember all of the backported packages. Here are some of them:
	tetex-bin
	tetex-base
	tetex-doc
	tetex-extra
	tetex-src
	emacs
	xpdf
	gs-afpl
	xine
	sane
	xsane
	xmms
	modutils
	cdrecord
	mkisofs
	cdda2wav
	gkrellm
	gnupg
	dia
	gimp
	XFree86 4.2.1
	Mozilla
	BlueZ

- Did any packages fail to upgrade?

Yes. It took several runs of aptitude to upgrade, then everything was fixed, except of some strange dependencies of emacs, that only aptitude mentioned. So, I did the last run to upgrade with apt-get. Two typescripts can be found here:
http://www.zvisionwelt.de/sarge-upgrade/upgrade-to-sarge.typescript.txt
http://www.zvisionwelt.de/sarge-upgrade/upgrade-to-sarge-2.typescript.txt

- Were there any problems with the system after upgrading?

* Yes, unfortunately X froze always immediately after login. The problem was the graphics driver (nv). Graphic card is GeForce2 GTS/Pro. With XFree86 4.2.1 everything worked fine without any stability problems. But the nv driver from XFree86 4.3.0 doesn't work anymore for me. It worked again with the option 'NoAccel', but then everything was just to slow. So I copied nv_drv.o from version 4.2.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ and everything works (nearly[1]) fine again. I had to do the same after dist-upgrade yesterday, when X was upgraged, too. So, the problem isn't fixed. (BTW: Xorg 6.8.2 has the same problem)

* GNOME didn't start anymore, only GNOME Failsafe worked. The solution was to edit /usr/share/gdm/BuiltInSessions/default.desktop:
'EXEC=default' changed to 'EXEC=/usr/bin/gnome-session'

* Some fonts in some applications are horrible. I guess, they are the GTK-1.2 based, but I'm not sure. Before upgrade there were no problems with fonts in these applications. Here are some screenshots:
http://www.zvisionwelt.de/sarge-upgrade/screenshot-emacs21.png
http://www.zvisionwelt.de/sarge-upgrade/screenshot-unison-gtk.png

In the end you'd like to see the "output of "COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l" from before and after the upgrade". But as mentioned above I found the call for upgrade reports after I upgraded and I didn't save the output of the command above. I only took 'dpkg --get-selections' and 'dpkg --get-selections | grep install', that can be found here:
http://www.zvisionwelt.de/sarge-upgrade/dpkg--get-selections-before.all
http://www.zvisionwelt.de/sarge-upgrade/dpkg--get-selections-before
And 'dpkg --get-selections' after upgrade:
http://www.zvisionwelt.de/sarge-upgrade/dpkg--get-selections-after.all

Cheers,
    Christoph

[1] In some applications as Acrobat Reader or Mozilla, there are artefacts of the mouse pointer, when it changes to a magnifier glass. But they can not be seen in screenshots (I tried it).
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.3a)