Re: X freezes was Re: intermittent audio.

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 09:38:58AM -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 07:43:10AM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> > By the way, she rebooted because X froze up.  That's been happeneing too -- suddenly
> > the machine becomes unresponsive te keyboard and mouse -- not even control-alt-F1
> > works.  But logging from another machine via ssh still works, so Linux is
> > still up.  I can kill -9  X and gdm, and then (and only then) unmount some
> > partitions cleanly to avoid a bad shutdown, and then I issue a reboot commend.
> > Killing X and gdm by themselves doesn't suffice to free up the mouse or keyboard,
> > unfortunately.
>
> Happened to me two days ago.  FWIW, I had just used alt-tab to task switch
> Totem to the focus.  I can reliably cause the same phenomenon by syncing my
> Palm Tungsten T3 using USB.

Hmmm.  She *is* in the habit of using various multimedia stuff.  That's probably
relevant.

Funny you should mention USB.  I'm having trouble with a 200 GB USB drive.
It seems to cause lockups after a while. I've never been able to use it for its
intended purpose (backups).  After a while, it just stops working and every
process that does anything at al with it hangs.  But the mouse and keyboard
still work.

-- hendrik