Re: adding new Hard Disk to sarge

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 02:09:07PM -0600, Mr Mike wrote:
> On Thursday 17 February 2005 01:23 pm, Justin Pryzby wrote:

[...]
> debian:/mnt# file -s /dev/hdc1
> /dev/hdc1: ERROR: cannot open `/dev/hdc1' (No such file or directory)
That's not the right partition then.  What does cfdisk /dev/hdc have
to say about it?

> Mdk, RH, SUSE, Connectiva, and others have always detected my new hw
> on boot and I've grown used to the convience and now sarge seems
> like a big step backwards in that regard even though it is superior
> in other aspects...
When the Linux kernel boots, it will detect any hardware which it
supports.  That's not dependent on the distribution, even if RH has a
colored box that says "detecting hardware" and a program called
"sndconfig".  (Since the kernel supports your soundcard, I have no
clue what that program could be doing).

> I'm also haveing issues with my SB Live audio card but that'll have
> to be ya thread..
modprobe emu10k1; play /usr/share/games/madbomber/sounds/bigexplosion.wav

Curious: why do you find Sarge superior?