Re: no inittab file after debian sarge net-inst

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 03:37:05PM +0000, Rhys Hardwick wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am attempting to install debian sarge. The installer follows all steps
> without fail, but on boot, I get the following messages:
On boot, after the 1st stage installer has written your MBR, and
you're trying to the second stage installer, loading LILO ...
(immediately before adding apt sources ... running dselect)?

> Could anyone help please.
Can you boot with rescue26 (whatever its called), and check and see if
your root filesystem has an /etc/inittab, and if that file looks sane?

You might be able to extract/copy it from the sysvinit package; its
called /usr/share/sysvinit/inittab, which is equivalent to the one in
/etc/ on my sarge system (inittab is a configuration file but not a
conffile).

Justin