Re: Getting some packages back

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 03:59:33PM -0300, João Paulo Just wrote:

> Well, as everybody know, some packages go to 'stable' and leave
> 'testing', for example, xine-ui.

> This week, was the time for k3b, kaffeine and others. The point is: I'm
> using 'testing'. If I do 'apt-get dist-upgrade', k3b and kaffeine will
> be removed (they are not in 'testing' anymore).

> What's the best way to get them back? I was thinking about using k3b and
> kaffeine from 'unstable', but I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

You may want to check first *why* the packages have been removed from
testing:

$ grep-excuses kaffeine
kaffeine (- to 0.7.1-1.2)
    Maintainer: Zack Cerza
    20 days old (needed 10 days)
    Ignoring high urgency setting for NEW package
    kaffeine (source, alpha, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc) is buggy! (2 > 0)
    Not considered
$ $ grep-excuses k3b
k3b (- to 0.12.7-1)
    Maintainer: Jean-Michel Kelbert
    Too young, only 2 of 10 days old
    Ignoring high urgency setting for NEW package
    out of date on mips: k3b, k3blibs, k3blibs-dev (from 0.12.5-1)
    out of date on mipsel: k3b, k3blibs, k3blibs-dev (from 0.12.5-1)
    k3b (source, alpha, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc) is buggy! (1 > 0)
    Not considered
    Depends: k3b gcc-4.0 (not considered)
$

You *can* upgrade to the versions in unstable and use them together with the
KDE currently in testing, but both of these packages are RC-buggy -- so it's
questionable whether it would do you any good to install them.

http://bugs.debian.org/336306
http://bugs.debian.org/328738
http://bugs.debian.org/335577

> Can I "dist-upgrade" without removing them?

If you need these packages to be installed in the working versions that were
previously available in testing, then the only real option under these
circumstances is to *not* dist-upgrade to the new KDE.  You can do this
either by using apt-get upgrade instead of apt-get dist-upgrade, or by
putting these packages on hold before dist-upgrading.

If you've already dist-upgraded, your only option is to try to use the
versions from unstable, because downgrades aren't supported.