Re: [Release Notes] Use Woody's or Sarge's aptitude for upgrades?

On Monday 16 May 2005 17:58, Frans Pop wrote:
> Should users first upgrade dpkg and aptitude before upgrading the rest
> of the system or can the upgrade safely be done using Woody's version
> of the package tools?

From the reactions to this thread and a thread on #309340 [1], the
consensus seems to be that the upgrade method least likely to have
problems is:

1. Check that /etc/apt/sources.list points to "woody"
2. apt-get update
3. apt-get install aptitude
4. change the /etc/apt/sources.list to point to "sarge"
5. apt-get update
6. aptitude install aptitude dpkg
7. aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade

Comments
1. If the sources.list pointed to stable the user should check if
   he has already updated anything; he will be largely on his own
   if that should produce problems.
3. Woody's aptitude is installed because using that to install/upgrade
   to Sarge's aptitude produces less problems than using apt-get.
4. The consensus seems to be that using "sarge" instead of "stable" is
   more secure as it will prevent premature upgrades for a next release.
5. apt-get is used to work around #309357.

The main open question now is step 6. There are two options:
- upgrade both aptitude and dpkg _before_ the dist-upgrade;
- upgrade _only_ aptitude and leave the upgrade of dpkg to be done as
  part of the dist-upgrade.

From my own experiences [2] it seems it could be wise to advise a bit more
flexible method. For me 'aptitude install aptitude dpkg perl' (i.e. with
"perl" added) produced the best results for step 6.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing/2005/05/msg00060.html