Re: DVD Ripping --

On Sunday 24 April 2005 10:42 pm, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> You don't really say, but I'm guessing you have a USB burner. USB is
> notorious for causing hard lockups due to uninterruptible sleeps when
> the USB bus falls out of sync.
>
> Try upgrading your kernel to at least 2.6.10, which seems a little more
> stable for me when it comes to USB devices. My USB devices still go off
> seeking nirvana from time to time, but with the most recent kernels they
> don't usually take down the whole system. YMMV.
>
> --
> Find my Techno-Geek Journal at http://www.codegnome.org/geeklog/

Thanks for the thougt...  actually it's a Liteon IDE DVD-RW and works great..  I bought it because the two Liteon CD-RW's I have work so nice with Linux I figured their DVD would work too..
Again..  Thanks for your thoughts...  I appreciate the feedback..  Someone else suggested overheated CPU or maybe bad memory...  I did find I had a TON of bad memory so got rid of it and replaced it with some new memory...  Alas...  I'm still haveing the same problem..

Oh well...  guess it just isn't meant to be... :-(

Thanks again..
--
Cheers: Mike

.. Now, a little humor compliments of Linux Fortune...

Medicine -
"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will be forever shut from the intrusion
of the wise and humane surgeon".
...leading British surgeon Sir John Erichsen, 1837.