Re: apt-get crashed 2.6.10

Jörg Harmuth wrote:

Hi Yves,

did you check "/usr/src/<linux_source_dir>/Documentation/Changes" for required software versions ? If you didn't - that's it. Because 2.6.x requires other versions of some software (modutils,...) than 2.4.x. Upgrading from 2.4.x to 2.6.x is not as simple as downloading the kernel sources, compiling, installing and you are done. This approach will simply not work.

Thanks for responding.
Shame on me, I didn't check it. But now I did and yes, everything that is available is more than up to date. Strange thing is that I run the same kernel version on 2 other machines and I have absolutely no problems there. One is a notebook, the other is a PIII.

If you checked the file mentioned above and upgraded accordingly - forget this mail :)

Have a nice time and good luck,

Joerg

yves geunes schrieb:

Hi,
I installed sarge 2.4.27-1-386 and downloaded 2.6.10. I compiled it for 686 and RAID and installed it. Whenever I run apt-get (or dselect) under the 2.6.10 kernel, the system crashes and everything dies.
When I reboot to 2.4.27 apt works normal.

Does anybody have a hint? Can I screw up the kernel so that apt crashes the system?

yves