GNU Solfege

Has anyone gotten Solfege to run? I keep getting this error message:

The sound init failed: ENOENT
It seems like your kernel don't have the correct
sound modules installed, or that they are wrongly
configured. You can check the 'Sound' page in the
preferences window, but I don't think anything there
can help you. (This program need better sound init
code to handle situations like this.)

Which seems odd, because sound works in Gnome2, and my understanding
is that Solfege works through Gnome (but i may be wrong). I have tried
the 2.4.27 kernel and the 2.6.1 kernel, but it does not seem to help.

Any ideas what I can check to figure out what is wrong, and what I can do?

Thanks in advance,

JP

--
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary
depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair