Re: no inittab file after debian sarge net-inst

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 04:46:37PM +0000, Rhys Hardwick wrote:
> Justin Pryzby wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 05:02:02PM +0100, Macskasi Csaba wrote:
> >

> >>Write the inittab yourself! Or copy it from your favorite
> >>system...  This should not be a problem...
> >>
> >It should not be a problem in that it should not happen.  Figuring
> >out what is borked is part II.
> >
> Right, inittab exists, and looks very sane. I might have made a
> little mistake and put etc on a separate partition. I take it that
> it is not a good idea. My current theory is to copy it all into the
> root dir and try again!
Should work.

> If this is correct, and anyone wants to tell me how silly I have
> been, please, feel free :))
I'm not going to say that, but

  du -sh | andromeda | cyberia | kobun64
  -------+-----------+---------+--------
  /bin/  | 4.7M      | 3.0M    | 4.2M
  /boot/ | 8.5M      | 4.8M    | 6.9M
  /dev/  | 3.2M      | 3.3M    | 100K
  /etc/  |  15M      |  25M    |  41M
  /lib/  |  23M      |  22M    |  50M
  /sbin/ | 4.5M      | 3.5M    | 3.9M

So there's not much reason to put /etc/ on a separate partition, since
you'll probably lose 25MB to round up to a cylinder boundary anyway.
I think all of the above directories belong together on a single
partition, which is possible separated from other partitions (/home/
is a very good thing to keep separate).

The installer didn't give /etc/ as a suggested mountpoint for a
partition, did it?  If so, I suppose it shouldn't.  It is maybe even
worth a wishlist bug: "Please ensure that root parition includes FHS
required path structures".

Cheers,
Justin