Re: installer still not in Sarge ?

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 12:28:51PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:10:31AM +0100, xerces8 wrote:

[...]

> > I checked and yes, I get that.  It appears the kernel does not find
> > my HD ( and the IDE controller, it is a Promise PDC 20276); hard to
> > tell as the messages fly off the screen too fast. ( any idea how to
> > view them ? )
> Yup, you can run dmesg; to see the kernel's most recent messages.
> Also check some log files in /var/log/ (though I don't know if the
> boot stuff will be there if you're running off a CD; for that matter I
> don't know if anything will be there).  Note that userspace output
> won't be in the dmesg, but its only the last 50 lines or so.  You can
> use shift-PageUp to scroll back at least a few pages in video ram
> (this assumes that you don't clear the screen or switch to a new VT or
> into the installers ncurses interface).

Quite hard to invoke some programs if you get a kernel panic. ;) The
Shift-PgUp stuff could work, though. But I don't know if it does after a
kernel panic.

David, you can try to use the scroll key to stop output. It should work with
Ctrl-S/Ctrl-Q, too. (I press Control with my little finger and have my
middle and index finger at Q resp. S. With a bit of practise, you can
start/stop output for a few lines then.)

Hm, you could give a kernel command line, telling Linux to "mirror" the
console output to serial or parallel port. You could print it or attach
another computer to it, but that's not that easy I think.

Greeting,
 Mike