Re: after reboot rtc dsp missing from /dev

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 09:39:09PM +0530, Prashant kumar wrote:
> Everytime I reboot my system I find some useful entries such as dsp,rtc
> .. not in /dev
My understanding is that udev is a cleaner replacement for
now-depreciated devfs.  One of the design goals is that /dev/ should
only contain nodes for devices that are actually installed (and
recognized by the kernel).

So, does your kernel know about your soundcard and your RTC?

> moreover ./MAKEDEV audio too doesn't work  as a work around I create
> these device entries using mknod.
>
> though MAKEDEV not working is a problem in itself but  more importantly
> why should those entries vanish on reboot ?
Hmm.  are those devices present in /.dev/?  (during boot, udev "bind
mounts" the normal, static /dev/ to /.dev/, effectively relocating it.
I don't know if udev maybe only creates /dev/ entries (in a new /dev/,
after the bind mount) for devices which are present in the
old-/dev/-now-called-/.dev/ tree.

> I guess following inforamtion should help:
>
> During boot I get  following warning
>
> warning: .udevdb already exists on old /dev !
Donno anything about that..

> df  -h gives followingFilesystem
>  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda6             5.5G  3.9G  1.4G  75% /
> tmpfs                 245M     0  245M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda2              28G   17G  9.6G  64% /home
> /dev/sda8              21G   12G  8.1G  58% /backup
> /dev                  5.5G  3.9G  1.4G  75% /.dev
> none                  5.0M  2.8M  2.3M  56% /dev
That looks good, similar to my system.

> also output of mount command is following
>
> /dev/sda6 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
  ^^^^^
Good, and necessary for udev to populate /dev/.

> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> /dev/sda2 on /home type ext3 (rw,noatime)
> /dev/sda8 on /backup type ext3 (rw,noatime)

> /dev on /.dev type unknown (rw,bind)
> none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=5M,mode=0755)
Right, that's /dev/ being relocated as /.dev/ and a new dynamic /dev/
being created.

Hope that helps.
Justin