Re: nvidia-kernel-source gone from sarge repository ?

> >> Today 29 Jan 2005 as far as I can see it still isn't in the sarge
> >> Packages file.  ...
> >
> >Presumably they've been dropped 'cos of release critical bugs e.g:
> >I guess it could re-enter Sarge if they were fixed:
> > http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=nvidia-kernel-source
>
> Thanks for providing the explanation, Tim.
>
> The nvidia packages are still in unstable sid, and by fetching them
> from there and installing them with dpkg instead of apt-get on my
> sarge/testing system I was able to get the nvidia driver going.  I
> didn't see any of the problems referred to in bug 267799 or the
> related 257809 or 288675 (but I'm not using either devfs or udev).
>
> I'm ccing to Andrew in case he'd like to make a note about this on the
> very helpful http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/ pages.

Okay, thanks for the report.  I'll add a temporary warning to my installation
page, saying that people will have to use unstable for now.  I don't know why
the nvidia packages have been dropped from testing, but I fully expect that
Randall is on top of the problem.

BTW, you should still be able to use apt-get to fetch the packages from
unstable, just run 'apt-get -t unstable'.

Honestly, some while back I gave up trying to keep track of all the problems
that udev and devfs have with the nvidia drivers.  It looks to me like a
constant stream of similar bug reports.  I'd like to use udev, but IMO it's
too much hassle at present.

A.