Re: logchek failing[Failed to get lockfile: /var/lock/logcheck.lock]

On Sun, 2004-24-10 at 23:30 +0530, Prashant kumar wrote:
> Hi all
> Following is the message I get from logcheck whenever it runs , I tried
> google but could not find much useful.
> Any help will be highly appreciated.
> TIA
> Prashant
>  Messaghe from logcheck :
>

> Subject: Logcheck: kiwi 2004-10-24 22:02 exiting due to errors
>
> Warning: If you are seeing this message, your log files may not have been
> checked!
>
> Details:
> Failed to get lockfile: /var/lock/logcheck.lock
>
> Check temporary directory:
>
> declare -x HOME="/var/lib/logcheck"
> declare -x LANG="en_US"
> declare -x LOGNAME="logcheck"
> declare -x MAILTO="root"
> declare -x OLDPWD
> declare -x
> PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin"
> declare -x PWD="/var/lib/logcheck"
> declare -x SHELL="/bin/sh"

Either Logcheck is currently running against all of the existing
messages in your /var/log and while doing so is holding the
lock /var/lock/logcheck.lock, or it died and left that lock behind such
that when it tries to run again, it trips over the lock. Summaries tend
to be since the last successful run, and when my machine is heavily
loaded, it can't always process everything if the logs have been
flooded. Additionally, if the logs are loaded down with all manner of
debug messages, that is vastly more to review.