Sarge install linux26

Hello,

I tried to install Sarge with the latest installer preview and the CD images from 27-Sep
and want to share my experience.

The choice which kernel to install is very well hidden.

My first impression was, it's red there must be something wrong. Using a warning colour
as background colour is a bad choice.

The install to an XFS file system fails as documented, but the XFS FAQ states:
Q: Does GRUB work with XFS?
A: Yes there is native XFS file system support for GRUB starting with version 0.91 and up.
   There is a GRUB rpm that supports XFS in the download section for the 1.0.2 installer
   on the FTP sites.
What is the problem?

I reinstalled with ReiserFS but the apt config task could not find my CDROM.
I changed the disk and retried but failed. I once got it working with a 24 kernel.
I ended up with a network install, which was surprisingly easy but slow.

The package selection is either to coarse (installer) or to fine grained (aptitude).
I have chosen the desktop environment and package selection and ended with
a broken installation because I left aptitude without saying to install. I reinstalled
without package selection and got a step further.

After rebooting I was very annoyed about the dialogues, you can not go back and
reread the instructions. And to make it worse questions like "key in an ISO whatever
code" came up. Not even a choice of valid strings to insert. That really annoyed me.
I would expect a wizard like interface where you can back and forth until finishing
the wizard. I want to have a list of valid choices for things like that.

Another issue is that I have to specify the keyboard and language for the installer
and to respecify it later. That's error prone and boring.

The X setup managed to detect my Matrox 550 and my CRT. It came up with a low
resolution and 60Hz. That's not the 1280x1024 resolution I have choosen.

I could log in and get a GNOME desktop. The CDROM drives where not accessible
at the desktop. The Mozilla came up with a strange font, Firefox was much better.

That's what I got after 3 hours. I managed to get a booting system with two users
and a GUI. It was missing my external USB drive and my USB card reader. For
a desktop environment, I selected, I would expect that a simple USB drives works
out of the box.
The printer and the scanner are not set up and I heard no sound.

The CDROM not available issue is the most annoying bug I found.

Regards
        Haug