RE: Kernel 2.6.6 does not recognise /dev/md0 automatically

Hi Clement,
>>>Trouble is, I cannot upgrade the kernel with a simple
>>>apt-get.  It will be great if the std kernel can have this
>>>problem fixed.
>>>

>>This does work with std kernels using initrd!  You'll need to start
off
>>with a custom prepared initrd as explained earlier, and load such
>>required modules as ide_detect and others into the initrd.  Once
you've
>>done that you are away and running for apt upgrades.  During the deb
>>package kernel_image install, the install script checks to see what
the
>>current kernel is using and customises the initrd accordingly
>(brilliant work by the package maintainers & kernel team that allows
>>the automatic kernel upgrade).  This is where your problem is; if you
>>have the modules compiled into the kernel, they won't get picked up at

>>install time by the install script and thus don't make it into the
>>initrd.  If the modules are loaded after boot,(e.g. like Sound modules

>>etc..) they also will be missing in the initrd.

> The initrd was customed already.  In kernel 2.4.25, there is a module
> ide-detect  in  kernel/drivers/ide.  However, in kernel
> 2.6.6, there is
> no such module named ide-detect or ide_detect anywhere!

This makes sense when migrating from 2.4 to 2.6 series, the two are
markedly different. I honestly can't recall if I recompiled to get the
2.6 series working.
I'd suspect it may be necessary, unless you can find the initrd modules
you require for the 2.6 kernel and add these to /etc/mkinitrd/modules
before chrooting to the raid root and using mkinitrd.

Normally you can chroot & mkinitrd, but I don't think this works quite
the same way with raid, it'd be a great timesaver if you could simply
chroot mkinitrd without the need to modify /etc/mkinitrd/modules.

Herbert Xu the package maintainer for initrd-tools is the authority on
this, I'd best not spoil his hard work with too many inaccurate rubbish
statements.

Perhaps someone in the linux-raid mail group can shed some light on this
and as to which kernel modules are required?

Cheers,

Lew