Re: CUPS printing problems in Sarge

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:59:09AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 01:06:13PM -0400, Jim Seymour wrote:
> >Have gone from bad to worse now. Nothing will print now. I have removed
> >cups and switched back to lpr. Files get spooled but never print. In
> >dmesg I can see:
>
> dmesg is almost never the right place to look. It contains only kernel
> messages, not messages from software. Check /var/log/cups/error.log
> Also try checking the permissions on /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel to
> make sure it's executable.

I was looking at dmesg to see if any errors were being reported by the
kernel in setting up the printer port. The cups error log never showed
any problems. I checked the permissions on /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel
and all looked fine. I decided it couldn't get any worse and installed
CUPS again. Did the following again from the "Debian Reference":

# apt-get install cupsys foomatic-bin foomatic-db
# apt-get install cupsys-bsd cupsys-driver-gimpprint

Configured it again with what I think is the same driver I tried before
and now it is working. I have no idea as to what is different that it
works now. Before I could print only plain text files from things like
mutt. Now printing from mozilla and openoffice are working. Wish I knew
:-\

Thanks,

Jim Seymour