vmware + sarge, kde

Hi,

I hope someone can help me or at least confirm some strange problems I've
encountered using Debian on VMware.  My image recently toasted itself
(again), so I can't give precise error messages, but hopefully someone
else has encountered this.

I installed Sarge (installer beta4) on VMware (on Windows XP, standard
VMware configuration 4.6Gb image) using baseimage iso & net install.  The
actualy installation of the packages (just selected X in tasksel) failed,
but this isn't vmware-related as it failed on my primary desktop machine
too.  That's ok -- I still had my base image, so I just booted in & used
apt to install packages I wanted.  I first installed just development
tools & XFree86 + wmaker.

I then installed the VMWare tools.  I had to install the correct
kernel-headers, but once I did there was no problem compiling the VMware
modules.  Problems started happening when I installed KDE.  Installation
happend without any problems, but when loading KDE the system would hang
for a long time & then begin printing all sorts of errors -- first related
to sound (aRts, which I then disabled) and then started claiming that it
was unable to create temp and log files ("permission denied").  Finally I
was able to kill my X session, but then any command I would type (e.g.
"reboot") would result in an error -- something like "unable to allocate
memory".   When I reboot it says my ext3 filesystem is damaged; it
attempts to repair it but fails.  I run ext2fsck to resolve the problems
manually; I don't really know what I'm doing so I just hit 'y' or default
value when it asks about repairing things.  Then all I get is "kernel
panic" when trying to boot.

This has happened a couple of times.  I'm hoping that someone else has had
similar experiences & can advise on what to try.

Thanks in advance!
Hans