Re: FAM and CDROM Drives

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 15:49, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> > >Since I don't use Fedora (and I doubt many on this list do either) can you
> > >tell us what "the annoying fam and cdrom issue" is, perhaps a description
> > >or
> > >a link to a page that talks about it?  Googling on
> > >annoying+fam+and+cdrom+issue didn't turn up anything interesting.
> > >

> > If you google for "cdrom fam device busy", there are lots of hits.
> > Basically, the problem is after inserting a cdrom into the cdrom drive,
> > fam starts monitoring the drive, causing a "device busy" error when
> > attempting to unmount/eject the cd. If fam is shutdown (/etc/init.d/fam
> > stop), then it is possible to unmount the cdrom.
>
> I'm running Libranet 2.8.1 (basically a mixture of sarge and sid) and
> haven't noticed any conflict between fam and my cdroms.

umount -l {device or mount point}

The problem is that fam has the device busy more often than not, and
umount -l is "lazy unmount" - it monitors the device until nothing
(including fam) is using it and does the umount.

Nautilus (and similar X11-based applications providing user requested
mounting/unmounting) wouldn't be hurt by being patched to use that
method by default. After work today, I might dig into the source and see
if I can't do that patch for nautilus at least.