Re: Installing 'Sarge' using network boot

Hello Joe,

>These should be on one line:
>
>> append load initrd=netboot-initrd.gz devfs=nomount console=tty0
>> ramdisk_size=8192 root=/dev/ram0
>
>And, you need to use devfs=mount, not nomount.

Many thanks, that did it. :-)

(I already had those on one line; my mailer made it in two. However,
the devfs=mount was the necessary hint.)

However, I still didn't get 'Sarge' to install. With your advice, the
installer comes up fine, and guides me through partitioning. It then
proceeds to install the base system, and downloads a number of
packages. At the end, it tells me that an error had occurred:
   Base system installation error
   The debootstrap program exited with an error (return value 1).
   You might find more information in /target/var/log/debootstrap.log.

Said file contains only the line:
  tar: Unrecognised file type

I tried this with several different mirrors in case some package was
corrupt, but always the same result. I don't have any idea what I
might be doing wrong this time. Any comments or ideas?

Sincerely,
Daniel

>PS - Where did you get this from so I can update it?

Well... That was on several of the many Linux-on-laptop installation
reports I read; it was not an official Debian document.
Embarrassingly, the only such reference I can find right now is about
a RedHat installation, so I might have used settings intended for a
different distribution. Silly me... :-P   If I'll find this again with
reference to Debian, I'll email you or the respective document owner.