Cannot load GNOME under Sarge

Hi All,
	Still have not been able to run GNOME on Sarge. If I try to boot
into GNOME I get a very brief view of a splash screen and then a small
window pops up in the corner of the screen with the following message:

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon."

"Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not
work correctly."

"The Settings Daemon restarted too many times."

"The last error message was:"
"Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SetingsDaemon'"

"GNOME will try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in"

There is a close button in the corner of this window. I can close that
window however I have to cntrl-alt-f2 in order to be able to login as
root to reboot. This is the same message I have been getting every since
I installed Sarge a few months ago. KDE is working fine.  Anyone else
have a problem getting GNOME up?

TIA,

Jim Seymour