Re: broken vt output

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 10:04:52AM +0100, Michael Erskine wrote:

> I have a bizarre problem with one of my Sarge boxes: when I boot to the
> default runlevel (2 - with KDE) the virtual terminals on the console (vt1 to
> vt6 - regular console - not fb) seem to be displaying the wrong data! I can
> work on the vts but I can't see what I'm typing -- I get "old" data as
> output: to begin with it's messages produced during the boot process and
> eventually seemingly random data, very colourful and occasionally blinking!
> This set of output data eventually repeats itself regardless of whatever is
> typed as input and whatever output is "expected". Lots of fun! The vts are
> rendered rather useless but I tend to use X nowadays (not good when the
> nvidia-glx breaks every kernel upgrade though!) so I can always "chvt 7".
> Booting to single user (grub provides "recovery mode") gives me the single vt
> that works as expected.
>
> Has anyone seen this before?

Not exactly the same but I have a problem on two machines:  on tty1
characters like ë é û  display in a strange manner while on the others
they display correctly.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things
      which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right
      hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not
      on things on the earth."              Colossians 3:1,2