Re: Two mouse with one linux computer...?

hi Csabka,

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:04:50 +0100 (CET)
"Csabka" <csabka@rht.bme.hu> wrote:

> Yesterday, I've got a new idea, and I wondered what if it could be possible.
> So, is it possible to use linux with two mouse on XFree86 with two pointer.

interesting indeed. i plugged in this apple usb mouse a long time ago but only
used the moseman+/wheel as a pointer in XFree86/KDE. i decided to try it after
my sister wondered about the second mouse and after we had that power outage
(the only inevitable reason why to restart my computer) yesterday.

> I think controlling two mouse-pointer with two hands are very difficult,
> but some case for example in strategy game or gimp... etc would be useful.

i'd suggest 'man cerebellum' :) and don't forget your legs/feet. i'm currently
trying to get used to clicking with my right foot (damn short cables on these
apple usb mice). full contact computing! feels kinda funny.

> I have no experience in C and C++ it's just an idea for developing the Linux
> for the future.

ok, now how to do it. a drawback first: i didn't try anything like a second
pointer so i'll just stick to using two (and possibly even more) mice in X.
oh, and before i forget: i use debian sid, xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-5 and karolinas
KDE 3.1.0+rc6+kl (thanks everybody for providing an os/de that won't drive me
insane in just one day, is well documented, makes logs, gives comprehensible
error messages and has nice people in support) with a logitech moseman+/wheel
ps/2
and a standard apple usb mouse often found on iMacs. well, basically it's rtfm:
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/README.mouse.gz and a web search on what protocol
to use with these apple mice. everything is configured in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

begin X/mouse configuration:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "MouseManPlus"					# configured name of the device
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"					# configures this mouse as the primary pointer
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"		# it's on the ps/2 port
        Option          "Protocol"              "MouseManPlusPS/2"
        Option          "Buttons"               "6"			# 4 buttons + twice wheel mapping = 6 buttons
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"			# enables the wheel
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Apple USB Mouse"				# configured name of the device
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"			# enables this mouse to move the pointer
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"		# this took me quite a while to figure out
        Option          "Buttons"               "1"			# and thei're circular too, very inconvenient
EndSection

end X/mouse configuration.

i guess (and will possibly try it later (maybe a serial mouse for my left foot?))
you can add additional mice as long as you use SendCoreEvents=true on these and
'CorePointer' on your primary mouse.

important! don't forget to add your new mouse to the 'ServerLayout' section or
else X will ignore it:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic/USB Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "MouseManPlus"
        InputDevice     "Apple USB Mouse"
EndSection

now you can test it with a simple 'startx'. if you can move the pointer and
kilck with both mice you're in, grats! if it does not work have a look at
the end of /var/log/XFree86.0.log (this is a good idea even if it works).

still, it's not exactly what you (and people who can move their eyes
independently and thereby want two pointers) are looking for.

happy full contact computing, f. soul.