Re: how to downgrade from testing to stable

A. L. Meyers <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> [2002-09-30 08:03:12 +0200]:
> Thanks for the detailed explanation.  What happened (see my post here)

I had to go look for it.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing/2002/debian-testing-200209/msg00061.html

> is than the tmda spam filter testing package broke tmda, thus breaking
> the email setup, which is, at least in my setup, a vital system
> component.  Simply cannot afford (timewise) such a breakdown.  Therefore
> decision:  back to stable.

Two thoughts.

1. Looks like a basic python problem.  I don't know Python, it's that
   whitespace for control flow thing, let's not talk about that here.
   It looks like a basic module path breakage that a python person
   could fix.

2. Since this is limited to Python it is probably a configuration file
   somewhere.  Which means you might try removing both python and tmda
   with --purge to get rid of configuration files and then
   reinstalling new versions which should work together.

Number 2 above is complicated because python will take with it 60-75
other packages that depend upon it.  But if it were me that is
probably what I would do.  Someone will hopefully mention how to do
that without taking the dependencies with it.  Without knowing how to
do that I would do it in steps.

1. Get a list of dependencies by running apt-get remove python and
   saving them off.  Seperate the list into two sections, python and
   non-python.

2. apt-get remove non-python-list
   Takes out dependencies so that the next step works.  But leaves any
   configuration files behind.

3. apt-get --purge remove python-list
   Takes out python and also removes configuration files, which seem
   broken in this case.

4. apt-get install python-list non-python-list
   Put everything back.

Alternately using --get-selections and --set-selections as has been
mentioned a number of times also probably works in place of 4.

I have probably missed something in the above and hopefully others
will correct the blunder.  But it would seem that would get you back
into operating mode again.

Bob