Re: Still having upgrade problems with xserver-svga

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Josef Dalcolmo wrote:

> dwarf@polaris.net said:
> >  I installed from Potato CDs and then upgraded to Woody over a PPP
> > connection. Because I knew that there were major changes between
> > Potato and Woody reguarding XFree86, I put off the configuration of X
> > until the upgrade.
>

> I did the same (on a different machine) - here are my notes:
>
> Make sure all packages installed are XFree4 (not XFree3) packages - with
> dselect.

I'm using apt-get...

> use xserver-XFree (not xserver-svga)

Well, actually it is xserver-xfree86 ;-)

I had to go into dselect to figure this one out...

Seems like this isn't exactly intuitive. Someone with a Potato system will
just do a dist-upgrade like I did, and get xserver-svga upgraded. I guess
this should go into the upgrade notes...

Anyway, this seems to fix the debconf problem, but I still don't have a
working X.

There are several things that bother me about the information in the log.
I get an error from xf86OpenSerial that says: cannot open device
/dev/input/mice ..., but I declared /dev/psaux as the mouse device! This
doesn't seem to stop the install as there is a later message about adding
extended input device "Configured Mouse", but I'm still not sure why...

What _does_ kill the server is the Fatal server error: could not open
default font 'fixed'. I remember a posting about this as well, but don't
remember what the solution was, and can't find those postings...

It seems we still don't have an "Idiot's" installation for X ;-)

> When asked for the type of monitor you get 3 choices, something like
> simple - medium - detailed
>
> I chose medium and exaggerated first on the resolution and repeat rate of my
> screen, then later I chose the particular resolution and repeat rate I wanted
> as the default (and only) resolution.

Yes, this is the process using the debconf screens, but what do I tell
xf86configure when it askes for a monitor type?

Thanks for the pointers,

Dwarf
--
What two word phrase entered the English language after a pilot reported
seeing nine of them near Mt. Rainier in June of 1947? (My birth month)