Re: USB mouse recognition

Frank Fürst wrote:

> Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> schrieb:
>

>>I recommend filing a bug against such package, but I could not
>>remember which package offhand.
>>
>>It could be somewhere along base-files or debootstrap.
>>

> Isn't this the postinst-Skript of makedev?
>
> | cd /dev
> |
> | /sbin/MAKEDEV std
> | /sbin/MAKEDEV consoleonly
> |
> | test -e /dev/tty0 || /sbin/MAKEDEV tty0

OK, I digged through various files from the package "makedev" and bugs #62222 and #89932 thanks to your hint. I think I finally found out what the problem is: "MAKEDEV input" was never run on my fresh woody installation.

Therefore the corresponding entry in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 pointed to the non-existant device /dev/input/mice.

After I ran "MAKEDEV input" manually, the correct devices showed up in /dev/input.

So either this has to be run in the case statement "std" (see above code snipplet) which generates standard devices (as far as I understand) or at some other appropriate place in this file. I don't know what other architectures need, but from practice I know that on i386 you absolutely need /dev/input/mice for USB mice in XFree86.

One problem's still there, though. If this "bug" would be corrected, would it make into Woody? (excuse this question but I don't yet fully understand the unstable/testing release procedure nor am I up-to-date with the current Woody freeze status...)

FYI, I didn't file a bug report yet.

Beat