latest boot floppies

Hi,

I used the compact versions.  Wrote rescue, root and driver-1.  Only
needed rescue & root.  The rest of the build went via the US archive
acrosss the network using http.

Observations :-)

"Choose the language" window, this was wider than my screen and I couldn't
see the full text, the cutoff is :-

	' chosen English.  Press Enter to proceed'

vertically it was OK, horizontally too wide - but still doable :-)

This window remained as the background window throughout the install.

I then chose the options and mounted disks etc.  The disks were formatted
last night with the previous floppies, I _SHOULD_ have re done the whole
thing from scratch today but forgot - Sorry :-(

Eventually I got to the download kernel and driver modules which asked
me where I wanted to install them from.  I chose http, and was then
told I had to configure the network - which I did and then continued to
download the kernel etc.

After downloading kernel & driver modules, the next choice presented is
"Configure Device Driver Modules".  Selecting this gives a "Problem"
window that says :-

	'No modules were found in /target/lib/modules/2.2.20-compact
	that could be configured.  Please install the kerenel modules
	first by running the "Configure Device Driver Modules" step'

Erm, that's what I am doing :-)

As I expected that there probably were no modules that I required anyway,
I simply skipped this stage and went to "Install base system".  I was
prompted to use the "Woody" installation and chose it.  Then the screen
defaulting to us.debian.org etc.  I'd like to use a local mirror but am
unsure whether it is the right thing while testing, e.g. it may not be
as up to date as the official site.

After installing the base system, the top window disappeared and the
"Choose the language" window was left.  I again chose English and then
was given the "Release Notes" page with a continue button.  On pressing
return, the installation main menu re-appeared with the default option as
"Make System Bootable" so I did.

This then blacked the screen, then went back to blue screen and the
"Choose The Language" menu.

Again, I selected English, got the "Release Notes" menu and a "continue"
button which brought me back to the installation main menu with the
"Make System Bootable" option as the top option.  I didn't want to do
this again so I went to the "Alternate: Reboot the System" option.

The system didn't reboot :-(  It came up with "No Operating System found"
which is a BIOS message.

I then rebooted the system from the rescue floppy and the root disk,
selected English, turned on swap, remounted the drives and tried making
the system bootable again.  This time, I was prompted for the drive to
write the boot on so I chose SDA (the default option).  Then I rebooted
the box and got da da da da da da daaaaaa "Congratulations you have
succesfully installed Debian".

In the end, I got there but it's probably not the easiest/most
stratightforward O/S installation and would probably but a neophyte off,
but it is close to being there.  I didn't encounter anything that I
thought was bad, basically what I found were cosmetic errors, HOWEVER I
have been installing Debian since its inception and don't mind fiddling,
somebody new to Linux/Debian may have a bad experience.

Regards,

Dave
mail/debian/testing/2001-12-16.tx                      debian-testing
                                                       adam@onshore-devel.com
| Dave Restall,       IIRC Limited, PO Box 46, Skelton, Cleveland, TS12 2GT. |
| Tel. +44 (0) 1287 653003 Mob. +44 (0) 7973 831245 Fax. +44 (0) 1287 652546 |
| email : dave@iirc.net       dave@restall.net     Web : http://www.iirc.net |
| I despise the pleasure of pleasing people whom I despise.                  |