Re: Can I see package changelogs on the web?

Am Fre, 23. Nov 2001, 22:22:21 +0100 schrieb Flavio Stanchina:
> I guess everyone else running testing or unstable too has the habit of
> reading the changelogs of updated packages to see what has been fixed and
> to know what might break. Is there a place on www.debian.org where I can
> proactively read the changelogs before upgrading packages? Sure it's right
> in front of my nose somewhere, but hell I can't find it. However, there
> doesn't appear to be anything like that on the package page and that would
> be its place, alongside with the bug list.

Have a look at the package apt-listchanges. It shows the changelog
after downloading but before actually installing the new packages. It
gives you the option to abort the upgrade if you dislike the changes
AFAIR.

 apt-listchanges is a tool to show what has been changed in a new
 version of a Debian package, as compared to the version currently
 installed on the system.  It does this by extracting the relevant
 entries from the Debian changelog file, usually found in
 /usr/share/doc/package/changelog.Debian.gz
 .
 It can be run on several .deb archives at a time to get a list of all
 of the changes that would be effected by installing or upgrading a
 group of packages.  It can be configured to do this automatically
 during upgrades using apt.

Jö.

--
It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.
-- Albert Einstein