hylafax notes

Here is a short report on installing hylafax (from unstable) on a
Debian "testing" system akak. Woody. It's running a 2.2.19 kernel and
has two not so recent faxmodems connected (Zoom 14k4 internal and a
USR 33k6 external). The hylafax package was in fact grabbed from the
Debian unstable dist. Here are the steps I needed to take to get a
running system (that is apart from the usual: faxsetup, faxaddmodem,
faxmodem setup-commands and the editing of /etc/inittab).

Eventhough sending works fine the old libtiff compatibility problem
still seems to be lurking around (could it be?). Either that or there
is some other explanation for the fact that I (still) get those ultra
short cut-off pages :( I tried a recompile of the most recent libtiff
and hylafax code. This yielded no improvement.

Hope this is useful. Here's the transcript of some of my actions,...

regards,

Jan

xs4us:~# cd /var/spool/fax/dev
xs4us:/var/spool/fax/dev# chown uucp:uucp *

Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 xs4us.linux.bogus server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.1) ready.
admin
530 Please login with USER and PASS.
user jan
230 User jan logged in.
admin
230 Administrative privileges established.
site adduser ^jan@doors.linux.bogus$ secretpw
500 Cannot open user access file /etc/hosts.hfaxd: Too many levels of symbolic links.
quit
221 Goodbye.
Connection closed by foreign host.

xs4us:~# cd /var/spool/fax/
xs4us:/var/spool/fax# rm etc
xs4us:/var/spool/fax# mv /etc/hylafax/ ./etc/
xs4us:/var/spool/fax# ln -sdf /var/spool/fax/etc/ /etc/hylafax

Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 xs4us.linux.bogus server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.1) ready.
user jan
230 User jan logged in.
admin
230 Administrative privileges established.
site adduser ^jan@doors.linux.bogus$ secretpw
550 Rename of temp file failed: Permission denied.