testing's prebuilt kernel packages.

Hi,

 I've looked about the web and searched some archives and not found any info
about the configuration used for the various kernel packages.
I'm trying to upgrade a friend's pretty stable debian stable machine to
testing because he's using tomcat, which acts wierd at times oh his machine
(spawning 20-40 java processes slowly over a month that choke the machine).
I thought using the tomcat package in the contrib with the java dependancies
it suggests (rather than blackdown java) might make everything peachy.
I'm familiar with how to upgrade.

The only issue here is that the kernel will also need to move up (from 2.2.17
to at least 2.2.19 and maybe 2.4.9 (I'm assuming from what's in testing's
packages)).  And he claims to have a dual pentium machine.  Just plain pentium
he says (though I was pretty sure you needed at least pentium pro for dual
processing).

So question 1 is, the 2.4.9-686-smp package exists and claims ppro, celeron,
PII, PIII compatibility.  Might it be an over-sight that there's no mention
it'll also supports this aledged dual pentium (if such a thing exists).
[see bottom for current top part of dmesg]

Question 2 revolves around a custom irq setting for 3c509 card support.
Currently in /etc/modules.conf he has arguments to the 3c509 card that set a
non-detected/defaulted irq and base so that it'll work.  how do I find out if
a debian built kernel package supports 3c509 and if its a module or not
without actually installing the package and then reading through the
contents... or downloading and extracting the contents somehow.  Shouldn't
there be some info about that somewhere in a header, or on a package
maintatiner's web-page [which I havn't found, though I looked].
Also the answer to this question would be useful in letting me build a similar
kernel that I know will support 3c509 as a module, and work with his smp
machine.  I'd like to have most of the generic stuff in there too, but I don't
know what it is right now.

so here's that dmesg portion I promissed:
daniell@two:/usr/root2/home/daniell$ dmesg |more
Linux version 2.2.17 (root@two) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian
GNU/Linux))
 #1 SMP Wed Nov 29 22:39:52 EST 2000
Intel MultiProcessor Specification v1.1
    Virtual Wire compatibility mode.
OEM ID: ASUSTEK0 Product ID: P54NP4000000 APIC at: 0xFEE00000
Processor #0 Pentium(tm) APIC version 17
Processor #1 Pentium(tm) APIC version 17
I/O APIC #2 Version 17 at 0xFEC00000.
Processors: 2
mapped APIC to ffffe000 (fee00000)
mapped IOAPIC to ffffd000 (fec00000)
Detected 132005 kHz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 262.96 BogoMIPS

Thanks, I know its not your job to do all the research for others, but I
really did try to find the answers for myself and could use a few pointers
about now.

-Daniel