Re: locale problem after woody upgrade

    Marcus> Hello, folks.  I've upgraded from a slightly potato system
    Marcus> to plain woody yesterday, and now I got a really annoying
    Marcus> problem. The modifications i had in potato were: XF86
    Marcus> 4.0.2 and Ximian stuff (gnome, evolution, red-carpet).
    Marcus> Aside from that, no other changes from Debian 2.2r2.

    Marcus> After upgrading to woody, some things related to locale
    Marcus> was broken.

    Marcus> 1) Locales like pt_BR.ISO-8859-1 doesn't work anymore.

*snip* This is exactly the same as all the GTK+ bug reports I've been
getting.  It seems like for whatever reason, you need to use just
pt_BR, as you've found.  Check bugs.debian.org/libgtk1.2 for lots of
reports just like yours, for many other languages.

Either /etc/locale.alias is wrong, or something else is nasty with
GTK+ 1.2; I don't know what it is.

    Marcus> Any help on this? I know libc has been upgraded from
    Marcus> potato to woody, but things shouldn't break like this. Was
    Marcus> this expected and reported before? Note: yes, I've
    Marcus> compiled the locale definitions for pt_BR. When upgrade
    Marcus> locales, I edited /etc/locale.gen and uncommented en_US,
    Marcus> pt_BR, pt_PT and ja_JP.eucjp lines.

I can't help for the deadkeys, but using LANG=pt_BR should work for
every other case.. sorry about that.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters O and C and the number 19.
"I'm with insurance."