xf86config Conflict

I'm trying to upgrade my woody system after letting that slide
for a month.  I can't get xbase-clients to go in because it can't
overwrite xf86config which is also in xserver-common:

(/dev/tty1)root@dlcpc:/root[549]# apt-get -f dist-upgrade 2>&1 | tee -a install.0040.log
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  tetex-lib xpm4g
  libkpathsea3 xlibs xserver-common-v3 xutils
95 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
20 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/42.6MB of archives. After unpacking 19.0MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 38984 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace xbase-clients 3.3.6-11potato15 (using .../xbase-clients_4.0.2-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbase-clients ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbase-clients_4.0.2-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config', which is also in package xserver-common
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/xbase-clients_4.0.2-1_i386.deb
(/dev/tty1)root@dlcpc:/root[550]#

I noticed that potato identifier and took a closer look at my packages:

ii  xaw3dg                      1.3-6.8                     cute 3D replacement for the X Athena widget set
ii  xbase-clients               3.3.6-11potato15            miscellaneous X clients
ii  xboard                      4.1.0-1                     An X Window System Chess Board.
ii  xbomb                       2.1a-2                      A 'minesweeper' style strategy game.
ii  xcolors                     1.5-5                       display all X11 color names and colors
ii  xconq                       7.2.2-3.1                   A graphical multi-player strategy game and game design system.
ii  xconq-doc                   7.2.2-3.1                   Xconq documentation in PostScript.
ii  xcontrib                    3.3.3.1-0.1                 XFree contributed clients.
ii  xdemineur                   1.1-11                      Yet another minesweeper for X
ii  xevil                       2.02-2                      A violent side-scrolling game for X
ii  xf86setup                   3.3.6-11potato15            X server configuration tools
ii  xfig                        3.2.3.b-1                   Facility for Interactive Generation of figures under X11
ii  xfig-doc                    3.2.3.b-1                   XFig on-line documentation and examples
ii  xfonts-100dpi               3.3.6-2                     100 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-75dpi                3.3.6-2                     75 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-base                 3.3.6-2                     standard fonts for X
ii  xfonts-scalable             3.3.6-2                     scalable fonts for X
ii  xfree86-common              3.3.6-11potato15            X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure
ii  xfs                         3.3.6-11potato15            X font server
ii  xkobo                       1.11-6                      a game of space battle
ii  xlander                     19920427-2                  a lunar landing simulation for X
ii  xlib6                       3.3.6-11potato15            shared libraries required by libc5 X clients
ii  xlib6g                      3.3.6-11potato15            shared libraries required by X clients
ii  xlib6g-dev                  3.3.6-11potato15            include files and libraries for X client development
ii  xloadimage                  4.1-5                       Graphics file viewer under X11
ii  xpaint                      2.5.1-4.1                   A reasonably versatile X-based bitmap/pixmap editing tool.
ii  xpilot                      4.1.0-4.U.4alpha2.3         Multi-player tactical game for X
ii  xpilot-server               4.1.0-4.U.4alpha2.4         Server for hosting XPilot games
ii  xpm4g                       3.4k-5                      the X PixMap library
ii  xpuzzles                    5.5.2-1                     Collection of puzzles for X
ii  xserver-common              3.3.6-11potato15            files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-s3                  3.3.6-11potato15            X server for S3 chipset-based graphics cards
ii  xserver-vga16               3.3.6-11potato15            X server for VGA graphics cards

So, being the packaging newbie I am, I am hoping some kind soul
can explain to me what these are doing in my woody system and
what I need to do to get things upgraded.

May the LORD God bless you abundantly!

Dave Craig

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.  You'd better rearrange
your beliefs, then.  Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."

            Athor 77, formulator of the               from _Nightfall_
            Universal Theory of Gravitation             by Asimov/Silverberg