Re: hideous mouse problem

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, steve winston wrote:

> I have had to reinstall Potato six times now. Something goes wrong each
> time, leaving me with a non-functioning system. I am using LInux System
> Labs CDs, the 3-cd set.
> Right now, the mouse doesn't work. It's either frozen or bouncing
> uncontrollable all over the screen. OK, I see that I must disable gpm to
> get it to work. But how can I disable gpm? I have no access to it.
> Debian bounces straight into GNOME. Ctl-alt-bkspace just takes me back
> to the GNOME log-in. Isn't there some way for me to get into the command
> line?
> This is driving me batty.
> Help.

You can get to the text console with left-alt-ctrl-F1.

gpm gets installed from one of the task packages. To make X work, choose
/dev/gpmdata instead of /dev/ttyS0 as the mouse device and things should
work ok. As an alternative, you can remove gpm and use the actual physical
device, but you loose the mouse at the console features.

Luck,

Dwarf