Re: installation ~problem 1: modprobe messages

> From: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>

> On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Daniel Barclay wrote:

> > Trying to install the current draft version of potato, using
> > boot-floppies version 2.2.16-2000-07-14, I encountered the
> > following:
> >
> > Right before the first dialog of the installation program comes
> > up, a large number of modprobe message flash by on the screen.
> > That said, approximately (hey, they flashed by too quickly to
> > read clearly):
> >    ... modprobe: can't open dependency file /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep

> First, how much memory do you have?

128MB.  (No, I didn't boot with any memory parameter, figuring that
even if the newer kernels still recognize only 64MB, that's plenty.)

> Second, how did you install the drivers?

I booted from rescue.bin and root.bin diskettes.  Whether I loaded
the drivers from three drivers diskettes, using the "mounted" option,
or using the "harddisk" option, I got the same symptoms.

> In the past I have had some trouble getting the drivers.tar.gz file to
> install. I get failure messages and no drivers. Check to see that the
> drivers are actually installed on your system.

Yes, they all seem to be there.  Other than a dependency problems,
I could install drivers fine.

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay