Re: Installation using 2.2.16-2000-07-14 boot disks

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > > I tried XF86Setup, but the first time it failed because I told it to use
> > > the existing config file for the defaults. The resulting message was:
> > >
> > > _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=111
> > >
> > > Seems I should know what this means, having seen it before, but I can
> > > never remember what causes this error.
> >
> > Simple: the X server is not running. But of course you knew that already ;-)
>
> Well, actually I didn't ;-)
>
> This is most likely because the config file had none specified? As the
> default server is installed and specified in Xservers, this sounds like
> broken behavior. After all XF86Setup already knows which server to use by
> default...

Yes, it knows the server (VGA16), but I guess that server still reads the
config file unless told otherwise (i.e. by pressing 'n'). And if that config
file has weird H/V-sync ranges and/or modelines, the server may decide not to
start.

> > > Restarting SF86Setup without the "broken" config file for defaults, at
> > > least brings up the dialog screen for normal configuration. However, the
> > > COM1 connected serial mouse is not configured. When I set the values in
> > > the mouse config screen correctly for my serial mouse, and press apply, I
> > > still get no mouse actions.
> >
> > Running GPM? It's way broken with the 2.2 kernel. Stop GPM and try again or
> > use /dev/gpmdata.
>
> I wish they would decide which way this interface works. One release it's
> one way, the next it is back the other way. My current setup on this
> machine has gmp setup and config points to /dev/ttyS0 and both work fine.

AFAIK it's the combination of a new gpm _and_ a new kernel. Having the potato
gpm on a 2.0.x kernel works fine, and the slink gpm with 2.2.x kernel seems
fine, too. I did file an RC bug, but it got downgraded :-(
BTW, also don't try the potato gpm mouse-test program on a network-less box...

> Your suggestion got me the mouse working, at least. How come they don't
> use that device by default? This _was_ the "simple" installation choice
> after all ;-)

First, "who has gpm installed these days?"

Second, in the default config gpm interprets the data of the mouse and
produces other data in its "own" format. However gpm doesn't do a good job,
resulting in me not being able to draw anything that even looks like a circle
-- which works perfectly when using ttyS0. There seems to be a switch to gpm
to have it pass the raw data, but I wonder how that would work with a PS/2
mouse...

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer