Re: X11 install experiences

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 01:29:20PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Understood. Since they work fine when invoked outside base-config it is
> base-config that is flawed.

Please let joeyh know.

> > >    2. After installing xf86setup, XF86Setup refused to run because there
> > >       was no VGA16 server. The Depends line says: xserver-vga16 | xserver.
> > >       This should be reduced to xserver-vga16.
> >
> > No, it shouldn't.  I have to keep fighting people on this.  See the
> > xf86setup package description.
>
> A package description can not provide proper dependency information to apt
> or dselect. I understand that you can't decide which desire is in the
> heart of the installer at the time of installation, but seriously, a
> restrictive depends seems better for the new user making a new
> installation and can be overridden by the experienced user who just
> doesn't want to have the vga16 server installed.

It's a judgement call.  Therefore I am exercising my judgement.

Also influencing my decision is the fact that, while XF86Setup is a nicer
looking program, xf86config actually does a better job of generating config
files.

Both are a long way from perfect, however.

> In the new installation situation I can't run XF86Setup because a
> dependency was not required when the package installed.

Like I said, I will rectify that with the next version of
task-x-window-system.

> > However, I should add xserver-vga16 to the core task package for arches
> > that use xf86setup.  Will do.
>
> While I agree that this solves my problem, how does it solve the multiple
> use problem you claim to be resolving by not putting the dependency in the
> dependent package? There is nothing wrong with using the dependency
> mechanism in the way that it was designed, is there?

Yes, there is.  For one thing, XF86Setup does not "depend" on the VGA16
server specifically, using the packaging manual's definition of "depend".

Furthermore, users can no longer really use --force-depends with dpkg
anymore.  apt will complain and refuse to function.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |
Debian GNU/Linux               |             If ignorance is bliss,