Re: none

"Nicolas FOURNIL" <nfournil@claranet.fr> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> Hello,
>
> Yesterday i've tried to install a debian 2.1 on an old server
> (Zenith) with an EISA 27xx car, on the probe check the system
> displays a error message (too fast for me... :( ), I've tried to
> install a mandrake 6.0 and the boot works perfectly...
>
> Where I can find a rescue disk with another kernel (it seems to be a
> problem with the 2.0.36) ( the system was previously on 2.0.34 and
> works fine)... because the mandrake works but is too large for this
> server (only 500Mb), it's only used as an IPX / IP router, dhcp
> server, IPMasquerade mandrake can do do that but it's a bit large
> (400Mo used !!!!)

If you find (or build) a kernel that works for the machine, then you
should be able to make a rescue floppy that uses it by getting the
normal floppy, and doing this:

  mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
  cp my_working_kernel /mnt/linux
  /mnt/rdev.sh
  umount /mnt

The only problem is if the kernel needs some modules to be loaded
before you can complete the install (because the ones on the floppy
already won't match, and putting the right ones on there is a bit more
work) but if you compile a kernel that has all the relevant drivers
built in you should be OK.

Once you've installed it, you can compile a new kernel, no problem.

Cheers, Phil.