Re: Slink attempted clean install

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 05:39:37PM -0800, Matt Thompson wrote:
> To start with, I installed from 8 floppies.  This has probably been asked
> before, but why does Debian require 8 floppies and RedHat only 2?  The

Just to touch on this, but Debian installed off an ATAPI CD drive with a
BIOS that supports boot-from-CD (all Pentium class machines basically) is a
ZERO floppy install.  You can get away with 2 if you load the base system
from NFS on another machine (you can also get away with 0 if you have a
DOS/Windows partition to leave the base files on).

Debian's 6 extra floppies contain everything to be able to connect to the
net (in almost any possible way) to fetch the rest of the distribution.

--
                            |        In order to live free and happily,
       Scott K. Ellis       |           you must sacrifice boredom.
       storm@gate.net       |       It is not always an easy sacrifice.