Re: Sun Ultra 25 / Debian 12 install/progress

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 8:48 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Iggi!
>
> On Fri, 2023-11-10 at 18:56 +0000, Ignacio Soriano Hernandez wrote:
> > so installed it with the latest image you had posted. It boots into the
> > login but USB is not supported, so only terminal.
>
> Can you post the output of "lsusb" and "lspci" so I can see what kind of
> USB controller your machine has? Maybe it's just disabled in the Debian
> kernel configuration.
>
> > What I was feeling is that even 5.16 is very unstable .. a simple apt
> > install openssh-server crashed the machine.
>
> Kernel after 4.19 were actually not very stable on older SPARCs like yours
> while there were no problems on the newer SPARCs like T2, T3, T4 and so on.
>
> Bisecting these kernel issues on my Ultra 45 is still on my TODO list.
>
> If you want to have a stable kernel, use this image from July 2019 and make
> sure you always boot the machine into kernel 4.19 from GRUB:
>
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2019-07-16/
>
> > Btw. What is the recommended way of updating the keyring so that I could
> > install some further packages and a desktop? What it be possible to exit
> > to the shell within the installer to update the keyring so that it could
> > use the mirror to get the packages?
>
> You can download and install the keyring package like this:
>
> # wget http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool/main/d/debian-ports-archive-keyring/debian-ports-archive-keyring_2023.02.01_all.deb
> # dpkg -i debian-ports-archive-keyring_2023.02.01_all.deb
>
> > Thanks a lot for your support.
>
> You're welcome and sorry for the current issues you're seeing.
>
> I haven't had time to work on Debian's sparc64 port for a while and only
> recently had the time to setup the two new SPARC T4-1 that we purchased
> for Debian.
>
> These machines are running now and I am currently going through all kind
> of packages which have regressed on sparc64 and I'm filing bug reports and
> sending patches upstream.
>
> Also, I am going to updated debian-installer images soon so you can test
> a more recent kernel.
>
> Adrian
>
> --
>  .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> : :' :  Debian Developer
> `. `'   Physicist
>   `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Hello All,

just for reference, i was experiencing the same usb problem on my
Ultra 25 as mentioned here:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2022/12/msg00000.html

So for newer kernels than 5.6.0 usb is dying during boot rendering
mouse and keyboard unusable on the machine.

Regards,
Connor