Re: Installation tests with GRUB on GPT disks

On 05/18/2018 10:15 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
>> Since the d-i current image is outdated, use the one from here:
>>
>>> https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/debian-cd/debian-installer-images_20171204_sparc64.tar.gz
>>
>> Please note that even the "NETINST" images are still CD images. Real netboot
>> images just require a kernel and initrd. The netboot initrd contains the
>> necessary network drivers and is designed to fetch udebs over the internet.
>
> I had a look at the netboot "boot.img". The problem is - or was - that I didn't know how to extract the initrd from this TILO image.
>
> In the meantime I found a way to extract the initrd from the TILO image. But trying an installation with it and the CDROM kernel (which I assume is identical to
> the kernel inside of the TILO image) showed some issues (missing Debian ports keys, defaults to buster, debootstrap fails to install initramfs-tools, etc.) that
> prevented a successful installation.

Please search the debian-sparc mailing list regarding the netboot topic,
we have discussed netboot in the past. Maybe this discussion can shed
some light onto your questions:

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2017/04/msg00002.html

> We could start a separate thread for these issues and we should maybe also change from TILO image to just kernel and netboot initrd or only netboot initrd
> (using the CDROM kernel in addition), as we now know how to netboot these with GRUB.

Yes, please.

> BTW although this ISO ([1]) already has d-i/silo-installer removed, the d-i/grub-installer on it does not yet include the patch you committed on May 15th. But
> one can fix that during installation.

Yes, I'm aware of that. That's because the uploads are usually performed
by Christian Perrier after he sees there have been commits to any of the
debian-installer components. This should be resolved within the next
days or weeks - hopefully rather days.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz