Re: Sparc 6.0.3: multiple Nautilus file manager process after few minutes from fresh install

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 10:29:59AM -0600, Patrick Baggett wrote:
> > Obviously, assuming that those are the only 4 RC bugs affecting sparc
> > would be very naive. But if people do not bother reporting them, we'll
> > never take any action, and release will proceed, again leading to
> > complaints along the lines of "I can't believe this buggy stuff was
> > deemed a stable release". And if the port does not have enough users
> > reporting bugs even against the most common desktop environment to the
> > point that it turns out to be hopelessly broken, maybe it's time to
> > consider retiring it.
> >

> OK guilty as charged. :)
> I didn't report this bug even though I ran into it. What is a good place to
> report them should I find more?

The easiest way is to install and use reportbug (sudo apt-get install
reportbug). If you know the name of the package to report a bug
against, just run 'reportbug <package_name>' and it will guide you
through the process, 'man reportbug' has more details.

If you know the name of the binary but not the name of the package it
belongs to, you can use 'dpkg -S' command to find it out, for example:

jurij@paddy:~$ sudo dpkg -S /usr/bin/nautilus
nautilus: /usr/bin/nautilus
jurij@paddy:~$

If the binary fails catastrophically (crashes on startup or does not
provide even basic functionality you which you would normally expect),
the bug should be marked release-critical by setting the severity to
'serious'. Severities are explained in more detail at

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities

If you encounter a crash due to an unaligned memory access (typically
binary terminates with 'Bus error'), you should try and include a gdb
backtrace with your report. There is an excellent write-up explaining
how to do that:

http://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace

Finally, note that the bugs are only considered release-critical if
they affect the version of the package which is currently in 'testing'
distribution (current 'testing' will become new 'stable' a.k.a.
'wheezy' with the next release), so it's most useful if you are
running a 'testing' system. It is installed by default if you are
using the daily/weekly installer builds from

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org