Re: errors silo

On 2010-06-01, Howard Eisenberger wrote:

> On 2010-05-31, Jurij Smakov wrote:
>
>> Last time I tried to install from a daily built squeeze image, I ran
>> into http://bugs.debian.org/579948, which prevented me from doing
>> meaningful partitioning.
>
> I guess I was just lucky with the image I downloaded at the end
> of March. However, using the daily build of 31 May, I also ran
> into this partitioner bug, although I managed to work around it
> by loading the fdisk-udeb module and creating the partitions
> from the 2nd console with fdisk. It wasn't quite what I wanted,
> but I was able to continue with the installation.
>
> Two other issues: First, the internal IDE cd-rom drive in the
> ultra 5 (secondary master) was not detected from inside the
> installer, so I installed from an external scsi cd-rom.
>
> Second, to get silo to boot I had to change root= in silo.conf
> from /dev/sdb2 (I also have a scsi drive sda) to /dev/hda2

I just tested this again on the ultra 5 with IDE plus scsi adapter
and also an ultra 60 with scsi only.

1. The netinst daily-build that I have labelled 22 March installs
without issue on both machines.
2. Using the netinst daily-build of 31 May, the partitioner fails
if I try to use the whole disk, but works if I create an empty Sun
disk label with fdisk ("s"), return to "Detect disks", delete the
two partitions, and install to the largest available free space.
3. Of course, using the netinst daily-build of 31 May, the IDE
"Detect and mount CD-ROM" issue and the minor silo issue (this is
not the show-stopper as in Alpha1) only occur on the IDE machine.

> Given these issues, it might be easier to install lenny, then
> upgrade Xorg or whatever without using the squeeze installer,
> which was my second suggestion to philo.

I don't know if he tried this.

Regards,

Howard E.