Re: dmfe/tulip kernel module poll

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 08:21:56PM -0500, Brian Thompson wrote:
I'd like to get some feedback as to whether anyone is actually using
the dmfe Davicom kernel module on sparc for 10/100 ethernet.

I do not at the immediate moment, but I have in the past.  As the
onboard NIC on my Ultra 5 has a poor connection with the Ethernet cable,
I would actually be quite likely to install a dmfe NIC into it.

Since the PCI ID of the UltraAX-i2's onboard ethernet
(1282:9102 - Davicom 9102) matches up with both the dmfe
module and the tulip module, both modules attempt to load and
end up causing the network interface to malfunction.

My question is - is anyone actually using the dmfe kernel module
on sparc and/or would it be ok to set the default to not build the
dmfe kernel module on sparc?

I would object to removing the dmfe module.  If you need to change dmfe
so that it doesn't register for that PCI ID, then I have no problem with
that.

I presume that the only scenario where anyone would actually be
using the dmfe kernel module on sparc would be if they've installed
a PCI NIC originally intended for x86 machines into their sparc
machine.

Well, PCI isn't "intended" for any particular architecture.  If the
architecture supports PCI, then a PCI NIC is "intended" for that
architecture.

I have a large number of PCI NICs, and I'm pretty sure that I've used
the dmfe module on my Ultra 5 with a third-party NIC.  As long as sparc
supports PCI (which it likely will for the indefinite future), I'd be
opposed to removing the dmfe module.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
troff on top of XML: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack