Re: apt gpg problem dist-upgrade sarge > etch on SS20

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 22:16 +0000, gavin duley wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2009, at 22:37, Chris Andrew wrote:
>
> > Hi, all.
> >
> > I'm trying to do a dist-upgrade from sarge to etch on my SS20.  Sadly,
> > I am getting a gpg error when apt and other apt utilities try to
> > configure.  Does anyone know how I can overcome this?
>
> I'm not a Debian developer, but: I've had a similar problem with my
> Sun Ultra 5. Oddly, it seems to be specific to certain mirrors.
> Changing to using another mirror often seems to fix the problem.
>
> It could be just that changing the mirror and doing apt-get update
> gets rid of problems with some local cached files? I'm not sure -- as
> I said, I'm not a Debian developer and only have a hazy idea of how
> Debian archives work.

IIRC this is because some of the repository signing keys have expired.
If you check back throught the archives you will find a load of posts
about this from when it first became a problem.  The answer is to
manually install the package with the new GPG keys (having first
verified, through other means, that they are correct, etc. etc.).  As to
why this isn't a problem with some mirrors - I guess it depends on if
the mirror is signed or not.  Not signed, not a problem.  Which are
signed, of the top of my head I don't know, I guess it may have
something to do with how they where created (i.e. if they are Debian
mirrors or 3rd party mirrors).

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin