udev and the initram image

Hi,

kernels with initrd/initramfs were and are a major pain, at least to me. It
breaks much too often :-(

Currently, while it is getting even more complicated with klibc included,
upgrading to linux-image-2.6.17-1-sparc64-smp broke my system:
- udev is not run in that image
- klibc fails to load with "Unable to load /lib/klic-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.so"
with xxxxxxxxxxxxxx being some lower case hex string.
- linux-2.6.12-1-sparc64-smp isn't booting anymore, too.

Currently, busybox helps to manually get kind of a system running. Any ideas
except creating a kernel image that does not need an initrd?
What exactly did break?

HS

PS: initrd got so complicated that it IS a single-point-of-failure :-(
PPS: I hate initrd