From: Andrew, Chris Mr Sent: 30 November 2005 10:06
To: 'Andrew M.A. Cater'
Subject: Internet-authorised: RE: Sun SS20/ Etch network problem

Andy,
Thanks for your reply.

Please see the following, in response to your questions:

/etc/network/options is deprecated - perhaps?
The above files says ip_forward=no spoof protect=yes syncookies=no

What does ifconfig eth0 up do?

This returns: Eth0: Error getting interface flags, no such device

What does the stanza in /etc/network/interfaces look like?

It says:

Primary network interface auto eth0 iface eth0 inet dhcp

cd /lib/modules/<something kernel-related>/net insmod lance.ko

What's the result?

Autocompleted the <something kernel-related> bit, but no NET directory
below it.  Tried insmod lance.ko, no such file or directory.

It looks like my eth0 hasn't been created, but I'm not sure how to
rectify that.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris.