Re: memoryleak?

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 17:54 +0300, Timo Aarnipuro wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have xfree86 with gnome running on Ultrasparc 2 (4X300MHZ smp)
> platform. The system appears to be leaking memory.
>
> here's top:

<snip>
> gnome system monitor also states that 99,2% of memory is used.
>
> Could someone tell me how to backtrace the leak (or is this normal)?
If you want to know how much memory is actually being used (i.e. not
buffers or cache) then try using free(1).  As I understand it, Linux
tends to put 'free' physical memory into buffers when it has spare time,
hence seeing the amount of 'free' (i.e. completely idle) memory slowly
creeping up.  Swap is not touched by this though.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin