Re: Help with sarge and some new workstation and server

In article <[🔎] 20050921142013.1CEEA2E155@murphy.debian.org>
agalue@sync.com.ve writes:
>Is there a restriction on witch partition must be the boot linux partition
>with SILO ? (like first 8Gb for PC based machines)

It needs to be supported by openboot.  (On 32 bit sparc machines, this
restricts it to the first 1 or 2 gb of the disk.)

Silo need the drivers for the disk built in.

It needs to be supported by the kernel booting.  Drivers must be in
the kernel image or associated initrd.  (initrd option needed in silo
configuration for the latter.)

A memory configuration problem was in silo, and may not be completely
fixed.  initrd errors are the symptom.  Changing memory configuration
was a workaround.

Debian-installer seems to be more stressfull on the RAM than normal
operation.  Bad memory may cause failed installs, sometimes looking
like the above error.

>Is there a way to create partitions with fdisk with netboot ?

Use expert mode when booting d-i.

>How can I check if SILO was successfully installed ?

Putting an md or lvm partion (or solaris swap) at the begining of the
disk will overwrite the partition table.

>How can I create partitions for linux installation from Solaris 10
>Installation wizard ?

open a shell and use format.

>Will debian run on the platforms first mentioned without any issues ?

Unfortunatly, I don't have any to test on.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html