Re: Installation Failing Sun V100

Brandon Mercer wrote:

Jurij Smakov wrote:

Hi,

Brandon Mercer wrote:

Ok, I was able to get the 3.0rc2 iso to install on my V100.

Can you specify exactly were you've downloaded this image from? RC2 is the currently "released" version of the debian-installer for sarge, while 3.0 is the woody version (sarge is 3.1), so I am a bit confused.

http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian-cd/images/3.0_r2/sparc/debian-30r2-sparc-binary-1.iso And what you just said doesn't make any sense. First off I'd like to state that debian is about the most disorganized distro/website/documentation mess I've ever seen. if you read this web page:
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/  it tells you:
*If you just need an installation that works*, we recommend you use the rc2 release of the installer, after checking its errata <http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata>. The following images are available for rc2:

Now, if you click the like:
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/sparc/rc2/sarge-sparc-netinst.iso you can see very clearly that the image comes from cdimage-testing which DOES NOT USE the rc2 installer. I know because I've tried this image and it FAILS EVERY TIME. I don't understand why they recommend rc2 if you need an installer that works if that's what they're already using. (yes, I KNOW that this installer installs testing, but it doesn't make sense because testing doesn't use the rc2 installer. My feeling is that you should be testing ALL of the testing release).

[skip]

No... but does this flag affect how the machine will behave after the first reboot when it starts setting up the Timezones and stuff... let me know cause this could be it. Thanks
Brandon

This flag (ide=nodma) turns off the direct memory access for IDE, which can drop the disk performance quite dramatically. Unfortunately, it seems like V100 is using the infamous CMD64x IDE chipset, which is known to be buggy as hell :-(. The options which I would recommend trying are the 2.6 kernel, which seems to handle this chipset somewhat better. You can boot d-i with 2.6 kernel by using a 2.6 RC2 netboot image from [0]. If you'll manage to complete an install, it would be valuable if you could make the installer logs (stored in /var/log/debian-installer on the newly installed system) available somewhere, and fill out an installation report (see [1] for instructions).

Ok, now about the installation. When I first booted the WOODY 3.0rc2 installation CD ISO IMAGE I did at the prompt:
linux ide=nodma
And after the initial reboot I did the same thing. This tells me that this buggy chipset is still buggy HOWEVER... my openbsd 3.6 didn't have ANY trouble getting itself installed so you developers CAN MAKE THIS BETTER! After the install I chose NOT to update silo when I upgraded to stable and I added the ide=nodma to the silo.conf file.

[0] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-sparc/rc2/images/sparc64/netboot/2.6/boot.img
[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template

Really, honestly, for as upset as I sound in this email I'm very thankful for your help, and having debian to work with. My frustration comes from the disorganization of this stuff. I will devote some efforts to helping other people figure out how to do what I'm doing and that is run a great, stable linux distro on sun hardware so they can kick butt on the web too. I will also do the report-template thingy so you guys have something to work with. Just so you konw I will have approximately 20 sun V100's running this so I will be more than happy to help you developers to get bugs knocked out. Thanks so much for your help,
Brandon

P.S. I JUST downloaded the sarge installer again and I did NOT get the FP error... but I had another one instead. Just figured I'd throw that there so I wasn't making you CRAZY with my previous incorrect information. Brandon